Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Make It Special

Ever have one of those weeks, that no matter what you do, it is just plain hard? Yup, Isaac has had one those.

It all started with Eli and Titus, last weekend, getting fevered and sick. Neither wanted to play, eat, or sleep. Each just wanted to be held, and each just wanted to whine.
At first, I didn't think it was going to be so bad on Isaac. He was really into building with LEGOs, and didn't seem to want to do much else (don't mess with him while he's building LEGOs!). But after hours of building with LEGOs his cooped up energy would need to be released, and he'd start picking on his brothers. All in good fun, mind you. But these brothers didn't feel well, and Isaac would get in trouble. A lot of: "ISAAC! Please leave your brother alone! ... Why don't you play with me?" But feelings being hurt, he'd march off not wanting anything to do with me or Matt. (Both Matt and I were tired and stressed, and patience disappeared as the week wore on.)

During this time, we also went to Rexburg for the weekend. It was Matt's brother's wedding. (Which was wonderful!) Two sick kids, and a wound up Isaac, equaled a bit of stress. We made it through just fine, but on the night drive back to our home, Matt and I had a heart to heart. One of the "come to Jesus moments" for our parenting techniques. I had tears, and we both had confessions. We rededicated ourselves to kinder and gentler parenting.

MONDAY:
Isaac wakes up. Plays. Has fun. Then starts picking on Eli. Instead of "ISAAC!" it was more of a "Isaac boy, let's not do that, how bout this instead?" Isaac still has hurt feelings, screams, and throws punches. I put Isaac in a chair, let him cool down, then bring him in for breakfast.
I ask him if he still wants his Cheerios, but does he want BLUE milk also? Of course he does! I pour his milk in the bowl, and one drop of blue food coloring, stir, and then pour the Cheerios. Amazement and wonder follow. And even better, he gets 5 chocolate chips with his breakfast.

Later that day, he and I cuddle and watch Disney and Pixar's "UP." We hadn't cuddled in the last week, and it was MMm.. MMm.. GOOD!

Afterward just me and him play hide and go seek. Lots of adventure!

Family Home Evening comes, and we talk about the Temple and Moroni, and do cut outs. We all gather around, and play instruments. We are all doing something together, as a family, which is soothing for all our souls. (Matt guitar, Isaac and Eli the drums, Me the french horn, and Titus the key board.)

Jell-o making comes later that night, for a treat tomorrow!


TUEDAY:
After a pancake breakfast, we have a family wrestling match. This takes up the entire house. Isaac and Matt run from living room to bedroom, and Eli tags along. When they are in the living room we all wrestle Matt, and then tickle Isaac! Again, all together as a family, do something together. Soothes the soul.

Isaac, Eli, and I make the Jell-o treat which will be ready and completed after preschool.

After Titus is down for the night, it is just me and the two older boys. I play "puppy" and chase them around. Then we throw bean bags, and do some dancing.

While I am picking up some crayons, Isaac comes up to me, and says, "I like you, Mom." I turn and hug him. Kiss his ears, eyes, checks, chin, and nose, and tell him, "I like you, Isaac. I love you, Isaac."


CONCLUSION:
Doing the little things adds up. Either for the best or for the worse. This past week is a testimony to this statement.
Childhood is a special time, and Matt and I must be actively engaged to make it such.

1 comment:

Kinley said...

I agree... and I think you two are awesome parents.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...