Recently I, Shannon, have been all about the old. I realized that there are basic "classic" experiences that I have not had. And I had to change this.
About three weeks ago I started to read Little Women. It was awesome! (I have never seen the movie.) I read it in a week and a bit, and was so intrenched in the stories of these wonderful 4 sisters. I laughed, I cried, I finally had my Little Women experience. I actually did learn a lot about myself, and now wish that I would have read it during my high school days. I really believe that this book would have helped me with relationships: with boys, my sisters, or my parents.
Then two weekends ago our church--the BYU-I 17th ward--put on an activity in which we were all given the opportunity to craft a pine wood derby car, and then race them! I was all about it! (Being from a family of all girls, I had never had to help brothers in cub/boy scouts with this assignment. And in middle school the wood shop class made all these sweet pine wood derby cars, and I so wanted to do it too!) I went to our local craft store, bought two pine wood derby car kits--and Matt and I went to work. However we only had a day to work on them, and Matt had a lot of homework, so not much TLC was given to them in the "weight" department. They were pretty light. Mine was 3 lbs, and Matt's was 2 lbs. And we lost HARD CORE to everyone else. But it so much fun! And Isaac loved watching all the races.
This past Sunday after Isaac went to bed, I looked through our movie collection, and said to myself, "Self, why don't you watch something that you have never seen, but know that it is a classic?" And my eye fell on the movie The Fiddler on the Roof. Wow! Was long, no joke--3 hours--but also so good! The movie takes place in western Russia before their revolution--probably in the 1890s. The main character is a father of 5 daughters. It is a really great movie (maybe too much dancing) with a wonderful family theme. I now have all the songs stuck in my head; I actually woke up this morning with "If I were a rich man" playing in my head!
1 comment:
I think you should write a book...i love the way you phrase your sentences, its like reading a book by John Bytheway! Good for you, iam glad you found something you really loved, thats hard sometimes.
Post a Comment