I love literature. I love poetry. During high school I was very fortunate to have two fantastic English teachers. (I am from a small/rural town in Alabama... recourses a bit limited.) These two teachers taught me so much about the English language and the literature produced.
I feel that I am loosing a bit of my knowledge. To help retain this knowledge I have decided to start a series in which once a month I post a poem. Make sense? Hence the name: Poem of the Month.
This month is Black History Month. I LOVE THIS MONTH! Forget Valentine's Day, let's celebrate some awesome people!
This month's featured poem:
We Real Cool
THE POOL PLAYERS.
SEVEN AT THE GOLDEN SHOVEL.
We real cool. We
Left school. We
Lurk late. We
Strike straight. We
Sing sin. We
Thin gin. We
Jazz June. We
Die soon.
by Gwendolyn Brooks

How did you read this? It's "We real cool. We," said in one sentence. Then on to the next line: "Left school. We." Follow it this way through out the stanzas.
Did you notice the last line and how it ends? Isn't that amazing?! I love this poem.
I found this neat site about this poem which Brooks reads it herself. CLICK HERE
I'd love hear your thoughts on this; be it this poem, Black History Month, or literature in general. Thanks for stopping by!
4 comments:
I love the rhythm of the poem. It makes WE so strong. It is so honest. Thanks for sharing.
You're so Awesome Shannon! Love your blog.
I actually wanted to pick up a book of poems when I go to the library next! I love poetry, so I'll look forward to your monthly posts! However, I TOTALLY disagree about forgetting about Valentine's Day! I LOVE IT! =)
Did you say you had "limited resources" in Alabama? (just kidding)
Love the poem and they way it rhymes. Thanks for posting and keep posting, i will stop by and read! You are awesome.
I have about a million poetry books and yes, I love them all! I love this poem and all her other ones too. Thanks for sharing!!
Post a Comment