Saturday, March 19, 2011

Poem of the Month

Spring is coming. I know it. I can just feel it. Even though it snowed crazily a few days ago, something is changing in the air. I hear birds on a daily basis, and there is starting to be more and more daylight. I'm getting very excited.... So spring, just come already!!

I'd like to thank Emily Dickinson for putting this feeling so beautifully into words. Thanks a ton, Em! Emily D. is one of my favorite poets. Seriously, who doesn't love her? (I've heard all men have a crush on her. Something about her brilliance, combined with her submissiveness... I don't know.) I love how she gets into the the mind, and exposes all the little thoughts. She can showcase the crazy with the lovely. Which I think we are all a little like that!


A light exists in spring
Emily Dickinson

A light exists in spring
Not present on the year
At any other period.
When March is scarcely here

A color stands abroad
On solitary hills
That science cannot overtake,
But human naturefeels.

It waits upon the lawn;
It shows the furthest tree
Upon the furthest slope we know;
It almost speaks to me.

Then, as horizons step,
Or noons report away,
Without the formula of sound,
It passes, and we stay:

A quality of loss
Affecting our content,
As trade had suddenly encroached
Upon a sacrament.


P.S. If Spring has come to your part of the world, please keep that information to yourself. If you brag about 60 and 70 degree weather, I might just go all "crazy Emily D." on you!
Love,
Shannon

1 comment:

Dana Scarbrough said...

I won't mention when spring came here then! :P hehe jk, but March really is great I've found, and I love how she says "human nature feels" it. Everyone walks around with that feeling, I think its true. However, I do disagree with her on one point. I believe I feel a similar though very different sensation in the fall- fall is my favorite and I just have these "senses" awakened every year it seems. I think fall and spring both do it to me, but they are different. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...