Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Hope

That's what I've been feeling lately.

Sorry for the lack of blogging this past week. We moved into a new apartment and the internet connection is not yet set up. What a stinky week to not have it! We got home from SLC last Tuesday, Eli is recovering wonderfully, last week Matt started his last year of his MBA, Titus is teething, I've been decorating our home like a mad woman, and Isaac starts preschool on Friday. WOW!


Anyway, back to "hope." What a wonderful word! I believed in this word for the last three years, I knew I had it, but I couldn't get past large obstacles that were blocking my total faith in a brighter future.
  • In November of 2008 I knew I was carrying an unborn baby with a major defect, and 4 months later--6 weeks before Eli was born--we found out what exactly this defect was (Tricuspid Atresia). 3 major surgeries were to come by the time he turned 2. This seemed like feat that could be barely conquered. 
  • In October of 2009, 6 weeks after Eli's surgery number 2 (the Glenn Shunt) at four months old, I found out I was pregnant. Life changing. I knew I loved this little one to come, but boy did I know it was going to be hard. 
  • August of 2010 Matt started his MBA at Boise State. I knew it was going to take up lots and lots and lots of time, but I had no clue as to how much. It was hard. Add on top of living on the third story of less than desirable apartment complex and we are talking about crazy stress Shannon moments. 
  • And 3 kids in 3 and a half years. Newborn/baby Titus crying all the time, baby/toddler Eli being frustrated lots, and Isaac just wanting to wrestle and release boy energy. The boys didn't seem to mesh well together. 

How things have changed:
  • All of Eli's surgeries are complete. And he is doing great! I tired to thank his surgeon, Dr. A.K., while we were leaving (he's done all three) and I started to cry. Made us all uncomfortable, but it was such a relief to leave Primary Childrens and know there wasn't a planned visit in our future.  
  • I'm not pregnant! And don't ever plan to be. Ever again. Not ever.
  • Matt is in his last year of his MBA. His classes are hard, but his schedule--at least for the Spring semester--is going to be easier. 
    • Not to mention that we are just steps away from starting a career, with actual real live money!
    • AND our new townhome is awesome! I love it! What a blessing.  
  • And the children are all getting bigger, and interacting more, and playing together. It's a wonderful blessing. Isaac has become a kind and thoughtful big brother, willing to help me out. Eli is happy and can communicate. And Titus is still a little stinker, but eats great and loves to look at books and play outside. 
Hope, people, hope. That's what I've been feeling this week. And I like it. 






7 comments:

Dana Scarbrough said...

Wait wait wait, you forgot one thing! Your rockin new mommy body! Also, you live near family, have a great husband, and know how to cook! You're basically awesome. I'm so glad Eli is doing well. :)

Natalie said...

Such wonderful blessings for a hard working, faithful, and awesome family! I am so happy for all of you!

Kinley said...

Yay! Eli is a stud, I am so proud of you for surviving it all! You are a rock star momma and your boys are lucky to have you!

Michelle said...

Wow, Shannon. You have conquered a lot. Some of your trials I completely empathize and understand just how difficult they are/have been. In other ways I am in awe at the obstacles you've faced with such strength and grace. I have a lot to learn from you. I will forever consider you one of my dearest friends and love you and your little family more than I can say.
PS. Call me when you get a chance. I lost my contacts so I don't have your number anymore. Thanks

Lisa Marie Trent said...

Shannon- is it just a coincidence that our children have heart defects? OR is that how you found my dinner blog.. I'm so glad you did- it makes me happy to know that people are actually using the recipes and it helps me continue you post. Eli is ADORABLE and I'm so glad to hear you are post-fontan because it is a WHOLE NEW WORLD!

Thanks for commenting..

Nate and Kim said...

Hooray for hope! It sounds like things are looking up for you guys. I hope that this year brings you many good things!

Amy said...

What beautiful pictures and beautiful words. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...