Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Memorail Weekend

Once again, we spent our 4 day weekend in Bama.  I mean, not that I'm complaining.  Actually going to Bama is pretty awesome!  And we've never lived this close to my side of the family--so going to see them once very other month doesn't seem too often enough.  And heck, when will we live this close again?  I'm not sure what that military's plans for us are... So... To Bama!

This had been a pre planned trip for a while.  It was also nice to get over and visit with Dad.  This was the first time he has seen me, Matt, and the boys since his stroke.  Family time = good medicine.  (Also, Dad continues to improve with amazing strides!  Not using the cane very much!)

One of my best friends in high school was married that weekend, and Matt and I attended.  It was like the most amazing and beautiful Southern wedding one can imagine.  Ceremony was in an old historic chapel, with an amazing string quartet, and georgeous flower arrangements.  Both sides of the families were impeccably dressed, and the groom's father (the groom being my bf) was his best man.  So sweet!  

The reception was at one of the fanciest old historic clubs in Birmingham, named The Club.  There I was able to meet up with other lost friends whom I haven't seen in years, and introduce Matt to practically half my home town!  


On Sunday we drove to the Hunstville area to visit Dad's mother's grave.  It had been a decade since I had last been, and we figured it was a good family trip to make on Memorial Weekend.  (Dad is still not up for going to church--totally understandable!!)

It was nice to replace her flowers, dust off the head stone, and talk about her.  She had dies when I was nine, and my dad was only 35.  A lot has happened in 19 years since her death, but she continues to hold a special place in all of our hearts.(Breast cancer... It's awful.)

Sunday evening, after returning back to my parents' new home, we spent our time playing in the gravel piles.  Oh man, the treasures that come with living in a developing neighborhood!  
The popcorn and M&Ms with the movie Tangled.  


Monday we headed out the door early. We wanted to get over to Atlanta early enough to catch some of the Braves vs Red Sox game. And we actually managed to do that--even scoring some free tickets from a guy at the gate who had extra!  We had gotten some fan gear at a Target earlier in the day, and we were set and ready to enjoy the game... Until the hear made it miserable for like the first 4 innings.  But we stuck it out till the 5th, and that's when the thunderstorms came and we had to high tail it out of there!  We would have loved to have stayed thru the rain delay, but we really did have to get home--and ATL is a 3.5 hour drive to Savannah.  

I guess that good that about that game is that we happened to see "the play of the game," when Big Papa Ortiz hit a home run with the bases loaded, tying the game!  Which allowed the Red Sox to win.  (Wait, which team am I routing for?! I'm a Sox fan, who dressed as a Braves fan to ease my boys' hearts.)

         (Pit stop at our fav rest area)

We made it home around 9 that night.  And we've been enjoying our Summer Break these last two days.  
SUMMER BREAK!! 













 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...