**The Fourth of July**
My middle sister Ashley flew into B'ham on July 1st, and me and the boys headed to Bama to visit (and meet Piper!) on the 2nd. Matt stayed home, cause you know, work. "Boo!" to work!
Our time spent in Bama was a lot of fun. Lots of cousin time for the boys, and lots of sister time for me and Ashley. She's been in Idaho for like 7 years, and she and her cute family are moving to Auburn AL for her husband's masters/professional program. In short: there is going to be LOTS more sister time in the future. We now only live 5 hours apart!
Mom asked me and Ashley to finish up the July 4th menu. I was mainly conceded with desserts, and Ashley just wanted starches.
--So Ashley and I made only TWO desserts (when I wanted to make 4, haha): a homemade coconut cream pie and a homemade brownie Oreo truffle bar.
--Ashley really needed some potato salad and delicious rolls in her life. I really can't blame her for the rolls… I still question the relevance of potato salad ;)
My mom had taken all the grandboys, all 4 of them, to Krispy Kream earlier in the day and then all of them to the pool. (Oh man, these grandboys LOVE their Grammie!) So me and Ash had the kitchen to ourselves.
That evening as the sun was setting and the neighbors were starting to shoot off fireworks, all the boys played in the neighborhood. Up and down the streets, running back and forth, pretending they were in a war zone. The fireworks added lots of effects to their pretend world.
We had hoped to see the large firework show from the hill my parents live on, but it was a no go. But we enjoyed all the local neighbor fireworks. Eli really loved them.
The next day me and Isaac loaded up the vehicle, and headed back to coastal GA…
… That's right, it was just me and Isaac. We purposely left Eli and Titus behind! WHAT. IN. THE. WORLD.
Baseball Camp and "Mom Vacation"
The "summer of sports camps" continued into the week following the 4th. I had signed Isaac up for a baseball camp, and this camp was 6 hours long.
And my parents had kept the little boys.
So that means… YUP! I had HOURS and HOURS and HOURS to my self for one whole week. Crazy, right?! I thought so, too. But after the first, oh, few seconds to myself on that first day I started to really enjoy the time.
You know, I've never really had a "relaxing" vacation. I tend to fill my time with as much as possible… and really, I've never had a true break from motherhood. If I've ever left my kids I would worry and worry. My children have been young, and hard, and require a lot of work. But now they are all potty trained, talk well, and are pretty reasonable. In short: WE HAVE ARRIVED.
(I used to think our stay at Ronald McDonald House was like a vacation. One should NEVER think of stays at Ronald McDonald House as a "break", especially when one is there for her child's open heart surgeries. Not. Right. (The years between 2010 and 2013 were just a "bit" stressful, haha.))
So me and Isaac would get up and ready and out the door by 8:45, and I'd drop him off to his baseball camp, and then I'd go and run or walk or do whatever.
Poor Isaac, though. It was SO hot. Just hours in the hot and humid sun. A few days had overcast clouds, but mostly just sun. I'd pick him up and he'd be a sweaty little boy. We tried to have him wear lots of white and light colors… I think it sorta work. He survived, at least. And I think had a lot of fun.
On the last day of camp it was really thunderstormy. Lots of ominous looking clouds formed around lunch time, and when I arrived at the camp at 2:30 for the award ceremony it started to pour buckets and buckets of water. Plus lots of lightening.
We all crowded into the covered batting cages, and the award ceremony commenced. However, none of the parents heard anything since the tin-roof was really loud under all the rain.
When Isaac we released from the huddle, he came to me with a 3rd place ribbon. He placed in batting for his age group. Very cool!
We then had to RUN through lots and lots of rain, with thunder strikes hitting all around. We basically took a shower during the two minute run to the car, haha.
The Pick-up
On Saturday, me, Matt, and Isaac met my mom in the middle of nowhere Georgia and picked up the two little boys. I think they were happy to see us? I'm not sure… Again, Grammie is pretty cool!
We basically spent that whole day driving, and taking pictures of funny signs. Love me some really conservative signs!
But on Sunday we were really able to reconnect together. Lots of family time, and exploring our new Minecraft game. It's a pretty awesome game, guys.
And that's us! That's what we've been up to! (PS, the boys desperately need hair cuts.)
1 comment:
That is the exact world map I was dreaming about! :) Is it as pretty in person???
Post a Comment