Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Ft. McAllister Family Camping Trip

A week after my time at Girls Camp, we thought it a good idea to have a little camping trip of our own.  Theoretically Matt and I love to camp.  However we haven't camped out as a family since Eli was 4 months old… So it's been… Like 5 years since our last family trip.  That's a shame.

Okay, first thing:  THERE WAS A MASIVE THUNDERSTORM RIGHT BEFORE WE LEFT.  We were pretty sure we'd have to cancel.  I mean, like feet of water were dumped from the heavens.  But we told ourselves, "We can do this.  It'll clear up, and we'll have a wonderful time."

Second thing:  It. Was. HOT.  An unbearably hot day.  I was pretty sure we were going to sweat to death, but the storm brought in some relief.

Third thing:  I had looked up all these different camping food ideas on Pinterest.  I got some pretty good ones, too.  Or at least I had thought.  And for the most part they proved to be great ideas.  I mean, premade breakfast burritos, wrapped in tin foil, to cook in the morning coals of the fire.  GENIUS and GOOD.  However, the Orange Rolls baked in an half an orange was a FAIL--"burnt black, to no hope" epic fail.
(Also, it's always good to have an extra pack of hotdogs in the cooler.  Titus happened to drop like 3 or 4 before he got a cooked hotdog in his belly.)

Overall we had a great time.  The boys loved playing in, around, with fire.  They loved sleeping on top of the sleeping bags.  They loved the late night.  They loved the early morning.
LOVED seeing a raccoon try and take our stuff.
They can't wait to go back.  Matt and I, on the other hand, had to have days to recover from our one camping night.

I'm actually just now fully recovering from the camping trip.  Me and the boys were at the park near the site, and happily swinging on the swing, myself swinging too.  Then the swing snapped in two while on my back pump, and I crashed hard.  I got a great scrap on my knee, and jammed a few fingers, and the boys thought it was AWESOME.
"Mom, look, you broke the swing!  Mom, look!"  
And I lay on the ground mortified, trying to be brave and not cry.  It sorta worked.  Somehow I had the wind knocked out of me too.

Anyway, overall it was fun.  I think we're going to try and camp every few months or so.  Matt and I want to work on our fire making skills, and the boys really enjoy it.



























No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...