Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Quick Eli Note

All of Eli's chest tubes are gone. So now we get to hold him! HOORAY! And he has just one IV. It is awesome. He is just so much more comfortable and so much more happy. He actually smiled today! A lot at Matt, because Daddy just makes the funniest faces! 
He will be transfered from the PICU to the SCU (surgical care unit) tomorrow if everything continues this well. We hope that means that we get to come home early next week. All considered everything is going great. 
And every nurse and doctor are in love with Eli. He is known as the one with the long eyelashes. He is a beautiful baby. 

The baby boy named Tucker is doing really well. I found out a bit more of their story: 
They actually brought him home thinking he was a healthy baby boy, then three days later he was sweaty, fussy, unwilling to eat, and taking short-fast breaths. They rushed him to the Rexburg hospital just in time. It took 6 hours to stabilize him. They then boarded a plane and flew here to SLC. When they got to the PICU they were unsure if he was going to make it through the night. They said if they waited 30 more minutes to take him to the Rexburg hospital he would not have survived. He had his surgery yesterday, and is doing really well. The nurse yesterday kept saying that he was "a really really sick baby" when he got here. His heart defect deals with the left side of the heart (Eli's defect is in the right side). His aorta is really small and ill-developed, constricting the blood flow to the body (Eli's problem is too much blood flow to the lungs). 

4 comments:

Caroline said...

What a wonderful update on both babies! My little family has been praying for Eli and will continue to do so. I love the picture of Eli loving his fingers! Too cute !

Dana Scarbrough said...

Yay for both babies. I personally have my own feelings about perhaps why they didn't know (they were in cough* Rexburg Cough cough*) sooner about his condition, but I'll keep that to myself er...
I LOVE PRIMARY CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL!
Eli is precious and I can't wait to hold him again!

Josh, Shauna, Allison, Brynlee said...

Shannon, I was looking at the Gilbert's blog and saw a link to yours. I am so happy to hear things are going so well with Eli. You and your family are SOOOO amazing and such examples to me and Josh. You all are definately in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know if you need ANYTHING!!!
Love,
Shauna and Josh Wilwand

Alison said...

I am so glad to know he is doing well. It breaks my heart to know that such little ones have to suffer so much. I am so glad that there are kind doctors and nurses to care for him. We miss you, your mom is so cute. We have seen her on walks a few times.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...