Every month I choose a poem to share. Sometimes it's deep, other times not. Just something fun to do, to do, to do.
This poem "Babies Don't Keep" is one of the first poems that I remember encountering. Where from? On a little stitch work hung in my Great Aunt Lanette's home. Oh I think she's had it forever! It took me a long time to work out the words, and even longer to understand its meaning. Only the last stanza was on the stitch work, but I think I'll share the whole thing.
The poem:
Babies Don't Keep
Author Unknown (but rumored to be Ruth Hamilton)
Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I’ve grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo
The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren’t his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.
The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.
..........................
Welcoming a newborn into the family is always a special time. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with the house work, but I have to remind myself that children are only children for so long. I have been really trying to enjoy this stage. Also me and Matt are starting to realize jut how quickly this little boys grow up. It's fun and hard all at the same time. I hope their childhood is wonderful and that they will know we tried our best...
4 comments:
Good poem. Really good. Thanks for sharing.
I love that you put the whole thing- cause I've actually only ever heard the last stanza! Amen to that, sometimes cuddling IS the most important thing!
This literally made me cry. I am crying. It may be because I am 9 months pregnant and emotional but this is the sweetest poem I have ever read.
I cried, too. Such a sweet poem. Helps to keep things in perspective. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment