Tonight is a quiet night. We no longer have cable, and nothing is on PBS. The boys are asleep, hopefully having wonderful dreams...
... And snow is falling. Matt and I have been watching it fill up the parking lot.
Have you guessed what poem I'm going to choose? That's right, Robert Frost's "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening." It seems so right, and fits perfectly. It is close to the longest night of the year, it is gently snowing, and we have lots to do to get ready for Christmas and family, but all we want to do is sit and watch the snow.
Or maybe I'm the only one who wants to watch the snow. Matt just ran down to get the presents to wrap. Oh well. We "have promises to keep," and many hours before we sleep.
Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening
Robert Frost
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Hope everyone is able to find a quiet moment and reflect on the true meaning of this time of year. May you find peace, joy, and love this holiday season!
3 comments:
ooh. I needed this. Haven't had much time for reflection lately. I guess I must make time? Even if only a moment to stop in the lovely and deep meaning of Christmas, I must make the time.
Robert Frost is my favorite poet of all time. Thanks for sharing it. Again, you always pick great poems to share!
I love this poem. I had to memorize it for a play in preschool!
Post a Comment