Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Little Foodie

Titus has found food! He loves it. Loves, loves, loves. Loves.... loves. It took a long while for him to understand food and the purpose of food. He spat out baby rice cereal like it was his job. He cried if we ever offered a bottle. But all of that has changed! Around Christmas break, actually. My mom worked with Titus and was able to persuade him to take and swallow rice cereal. Then when I got the flu Christmas day, Titus took to the bottle without much fight. MIRACLES!

Eating rice cereal, but totally not getting it.
"Hey, Dad, just let me chew on this really interesting dino, okay?"

"Alright, I'm spitting it out! Hahahaha! I laugh at you."

He gets a helping or two of rice cereal, daily.
And so far he has enjoyed sweet potatoes, carrots, applesauce, pears, and bananas. He may eat a jar or two per day.

Milk wise, he is now almost fully bottle fed. Drinks 4 to 6 ounces at a time, every three to four hours. We are pretty content with this arrangement. He was exclusively breastfed his first 6 and a half months.

I'm actually pretty happy with myself. With Isaac I went till 4 and a half months, then started school and COMPLETELY ran dry. It was crazy.
With Eli I pumped for 2 months, but started to not produce enough. No matter how much I drank or how long I pumped. Pumping is just not the same as nursing... and I needed to be able to mother. Instead of pump, bottle feed, pump, bottle feed, ALL DAY LONG! Why did Eli not take to nursing? Probably cause he had his chest broken open for open-heart surgery at 5 days old, and learning to nurse was too stressful and hard for his little body. Remember, feeding is a baby's way to exercise. Nursing is harder than bottle feeding, and it was just too much work for his low oxygenated body.
So this last month with Titus I just new he wasn't getting enough. Again, no matter how long he nursed or how much I drank, just wasn't enough. I hate having a starving baby! I think my milk supply is touchier than other women's... I don't know, it is just really hard for me to keep the supply up. If I lived in the time when Native Americans ruled the Americas, I could totally thrive in the communal feeding thing. But just myself with a child, it doesn't work. So thanks, Industrial Revolution, for ruining the community family and making us all depend on ourselves of sustainment.

Anyway...

... This morning I was feeling around in Titus' mouth, and guess what? He cut a tooth! His first! The bottom front-right. He didn't really seem like he was teething. Yes he drooled, yes he chewed on things. But no red checks, no fever, no over obsessive whining. If he can teeth like this for the rest of his life, that'd be great!

With this new tooth, there are so many possibilities for new foods! I wonder if he'd be into toast. Probably. He is such a foodie. Is totally into it, it just took a while for it to click in his head.

See? Yesterday's feeding of baby rice cereal:


Isn't that blond hair crazy?!
He actually has lots of hair, just nobody can see it!
And please ignore the dirty tray... this chair is shared between Titus and Eli. Can you guess which one likes to make a mess of food?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

matthew totally wouldn't nurse either and I think it was his whole primary children's ordeal too, so I feel ya there about the pumping! I was so excited to get to really breastfeed with Hailey but now I'm wishing she wasn't so good at it! She's turning one in a month and she STILL won't take a bottle! probably something I'm doing wrong, but whatever, I'm just amazed at a woman's body for being able to do any of that stuff! Good job titus, I hope you love food forever!

Dana Scarbrough said...

And then...there's the other side, but I won't go there publicly! LOL Anyways hurray for two food lovers! See, sometimes illness is a blessing! Sick for 9 months= Titus, sick for one week= Titus on a bottle and eating food (DOUBLE blessing that Titus is on a bottle is that awesome non-teething tooth discovery!)!

Kinley said...

You went skiing! I am so proud!!! Did you enjoy it? I hope so! I am glad you are able to cross that off you list! I am sorry to hear about your nursing troubles. I didn't take to nursing myself, so I was really happy that my kids went to bottles easily. I am glad you had a nice holiday season, I am sorry you were sick, but fortunately your lovely mother was around. Way to be awesome! Carry on!

Christi said...

I love it when babies eat well! You should try avacado, I bet he would like it. Also, a friend of mine told me about an awesome website and I have used it the entire time Blake has been eating solids. It is called wholesomebabyfood.com. It gives great ideas and helps you know what to make on your own and what to buy in a jar.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...