Saturday, January 22, 2011

Poem of the Month

The Golf Links
Sarah N. Cleghorn (1876-1959)

The golf links lie so near the mill
That almost every day
The laboring children can look out
And see the men at play.

[1917]

..........

Oh man, classic "conflict theory" poem right there! I have many thoughts on this poem, but I'm not going to go too much into it. Let's just say we are stressed about our budget, and it makes us yearn for the day when said stress will no longer ail us.

1 comment:

Dana Scarbrough said...

This poem makes me sad. It makes me think about children having to do more than their fair share (be it at home, troubles beyond their years, or at the mill) while the adults play. Sometimes in trying to "include" kids in our play they can also be exposed to too much that can burden them. pppppppbbbbbbbbbbbbb- that's all. ;)
I'm KNOW it's stressful - but just always remember that people are more important than things, and "it's just money!" - ha!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...