Thursday, February 24, 2011

Poem of the Month

Confession: I love the month of February.
Let me clarify, I hate winter and the weather that comes during this month, but I love the month of February. Why? Because it is shorter than the rest of the other months? Because it has a cool leap year thing going on? Because of the Day of Love, known as Valentines' Day? NO!
I love February because it is Black History Month, in the United States of America.

So, I love this month. One, because it is a month dedicated to HISTORY! And two, it celebrates a people who did not have many rights and privileges till after the Civil War (1865) and Civil Rights Movement (1960s). I mean, come on, this month is just cool! (It is NOT cool that there was/is slavery and oppression, just to be perfectly clear.)

Do you want me to go deeper? Probably not, but I will. I WILL!
People need heros. People need heros they can relate too. Why not have a "White History Month?" Ummm... look around. When we learn about the America's beginnings, we learn about the colonists, and they have NAMES and FACES. Actual people. When we learn about people of other color, for the most part they do not have names or faces. Tell me, who is a great Native American or African American you look up to that lived during this time? Probably can name one or two... those who HELPED the whites, right? Who are the great heros of the Revolution and Constitutional Conventions? Washington, Adams, Franklin, Hamilton, Madison... okay, even Jefferson (even though I despise that man. Such a pansy and hypocrite.)

I must also mention that just because, say myself, am white, it doesn't necessarily mean I am like another white person. This is important: race is not culture. Let write that again: RACE IS NOT CULTURE. I am a white girl, born and raised in the South. My husband's side is white, primarily Canadian. Do we automatically get each other? NO! We love each other, for sure. But in the beginning there where language barriers (even though we both speak English), different foods, and different likes in sports. See? Race is not culture. Now, you can be forced into a culture because of race. Like Africans who came to America, and their children, and children's children. People were segregated because of race, and those groups create unique cultures.

Okay, even though a person's race does not equal culture, a way a person looks is still important in choosing a hero. I love Belle off of Beauty and the Beast. Why? Because I think I look like her, and to me that is important. With time I have come to appreciate other Princesses, but Belle is still my go to girl.

Let's be honest, we all need heros. And heros that look like us, is even better. America the Beautiful has some really, really dark spots in its history. People of been oppressed (Irish, Mormon, Chinese, Catholic, Native American, African, Japanese, Jewish, German, etc.), and that is just the plain old truth. Dedicating a month to African American History is one way this Nation can help heal those hurtful and deep wounds.



Poem of the Month then? How about some Langston Hughes! (I love him, I love him, I love him.)


I, Too, Sing America
Langston Hughes (1902-1967)

I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.

[1925]

3 comments:

Dana Scarbrough said...

I like the piece about heros. We want heros that relate to us, but somehow accomplish what we feel we can't, or just haven't yet. :)

I also like black people. For the record. I'd be in trouble right about now if I didn't!

Annie said...

Love!

Sarah said...

Fun post. I, too, love Langston Hughes. Pun intended.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...