Matt got active duty!!
ARMY, that is. So he'll commission in May of 2012 as a second lieutenant. We still don't know what branch (job) he has, but that info should be coming within this month. And we'll find out about duty station (Hawaii! Hawaii! Hawaii!) and branch school in the Spring.
When Matt told me the news I got tears in my eyes. One, because I'm so happy for us to have a career path; and two, I'm so freaking scared. Like, how does one live outside of the school schedule? Seriously, school is such a safe place to be. I know we are as poor as dirt, but at least it's for a reason. (One, of both of us, have been is university since 2004. It's the only life we know.)
What happens if we are poor as dirt outside of school? How does that work? HAPPILY the ARMY is awesome that way and does not let their lowly officers be dirt, dirt poor. (You can find this all online, so I'm not letting anything out of the bag) A second lieutenant's base pay starts at 3,500 a month. That's not including housing (BAH) which pays an allotment to cover all of housing--and all utilities if we live on base--plus all medical insurance is covered (minus 20ish bucks a month for dental).
We'll be fine. But I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it all.... Active Duty life, moving to places unknown, etc.
But, I am excited! Really I am! I'm just a little tired and loopy at the moment because ALL 3 KIDS ARE SICK! Poo, throw up, tiredness. It's not an extreme bug but just enough to make life nasty. I've gotten a little bit of it too, but no throw up. Just tired, and, you know... poo. Before Matt left for school tonight he said he was starting to feel weird. Hey, at least it's not cholera!
5 comments:
Seriously. Is it sad that 40,000/year for a family of four sounds delish right about now? But look on the bright side with moving- you do know your path for 3 years at a time- that's almost like being in school right?! Hope to join you in Hawaii!!!
Crazy, crazy, crazy. Gooooooood luck!
I am so ready to be done with the poor college student phase of life! Yay that you know the next step! It will be awesome!
Congrats Shannon and Matt! You guys have many exciting life adventures ahead of you I'm sure!
Don't worry, you will love life outside of college! Especially as an Officer's wife. Woot! You go girl. The pay is great and STEADY and I LOVE Tricare! They pay for EVERYTHING! That is one bill you will never have to worry about. Every place I have lived (Monterey, Maryland) there has been a civilian option for doctors, so in Maryland we had Johns Hopkins doctors. Let us know when you find out your duty station, and maybe someday we will know ours and we can compare! Hawaii is an option for us.
Post a Comment