Wednesday, January 2, 2013

3 Surprise Weekend

Remember this post with Dave's surprise to Ashley?  Well that was only the beginning...


Grandma Stella and Grandpa Lowell knew my parents were visiting Florida for the weekend, but they had no idea that the whole crew was coming too!   
Stella and Lowell are not our grandparents by blood, but by love.  And goodness, we love them!  
It was a lot of fun knocking on their door Saturday morning and shocking them with all our lovely faces... It's always good to know good people, and these two are really good people.  


They are the parents of the my mom's grade school BFF.  I've known them since... well... since the day I was born!  I've always loved visiting their home.
Plus, they have an awesome car! 






After our visit to Lowell and Stella we headed over to Great-Grandma Anna's surprise 90th birthday!  My grandmother and great-aunts have been working on this party for a whole year, and it went off without a hitch.
My Great-Grandma Anna has 8 children (my grandmother), each of those children have children (my mother), those children have children (me!), and in some cases those children have children (my boys). That's right, it's five generations still living and linked together!
I reckon there were about 150ish people at the party, mostly all relatives :)  It all gets a little confusing to "which?" and "what?" and "how?" are we cousins to which generation... I mean, my mom went to high school with her aunt, haha!




Great-Grandma Anna getting presents! 


So my Great-Grandma Anna was surprised, and it was fun to see families perform musical pieces for her.  Me, Matt, Madison, Ashley, and Dave sang (with Matt's guitar accompaniment) "You Are My Sunshine."  It was well received.

PS, my Great-Grandmother and Great-Grandfather have this really cool history:  They moved down to Florida from Michigan in the 60s... BY TRACTOR and TRAILER with CHILDREN!  One day I'll have to delve deeper into that crazy cool story.  (That's the history behind the cake.)



The day we traveled back to Bama from Florida was my birthday.  Holla!
The night before my mom was like, "So what kind of cake do you want for your birthday?"
"Oh," I haughtily reply, "MY homemade chocolate cake, with MY homemade peanut-butter cream cheese frosting."
And then Ashley asks, "Mom, did you picked up a box cake before we left?"
Mom says, "I got it taken care of."
And I didn't think much of the conversation.

We traveled in 3 vehicles, because none of us have high number seating cars.  When we left that morning we all pretty much left around the same time.
But because of our boys' high number of bathroom stops (FYI, getting each boy an individual Gatoraid was a  bad idea.  Their bladders are small and teeny-tiny, and they refused to drink slowly and in moderation) we ended up being 1.75 hours behind Mom and Dad's car.

We pull up in the drive-way, realizing we were just 3 miles behind Ashley and Dave's car (they took their sweet time, haha), and walked inside.
HOLY SMOKES.  Surprise!  A homemade chocolate cake with homemade peanut-butter cream cheese frosting, and balloon decorations!  Say, "What?!"  I thought that when we'd get home me and the women would get a cake together--I never thought that Mom, Dad, and Madison could pull off a homemade cake in an 1.75 hours!  (Apparently it fell on the ground at one point, but it still tasted great!)

So my 27th birthday was filled with (besides the 10 hours of driving) lots of family, good cake, and good presents.  Loved it all!  (Well, besides the 10 hours of driving.)







Our (Eli refused to join me) first attempt to get the candles all blown out...

... it took a while:


FINALLY!



All travel worn, but all happy.







2 comments:

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday, sweet friend. What, are you like 25 now? ;) It always shocked me when I was reminded of how much younger you are, or rather how much older I am than you. You look great and I'm glad you were with your wonderful family for your birthday. Maybe next year we should find a way to celebrate our b-days together? Las Vegas trip maybe? Love you!

Dana Scarbrough said...

Yay for a fun birthday surprise for you and your great-grandma! You deserve a very special celebration friend. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...