Been thinking bout this blog of mine, blog of mine.
Indeed it's been on my mind
For some time.
There are readers out there, readers out there
Who come to see what I share
Even if I swear.
Setting some goals I am, goals I am:
Know these readers, is my plan.
Is your name Sam?
If you have a blog I don't know, I don't know,
Well... please let me know!
Email me your link, yo!
..................
Another goal I've set is to start back with the "Poem of the Month." Pretty much really enjoyed doing it. So... I should do that. YES!
Been thinking about my childhood and the authors that influenced my life and love of the written word. I was not a great reader or speller, which kept me shy about really diving into stuff. Reading was so laboring, but I loved it! I've always been able to, if I have the time, disappear into a book/story.
Shel Silverstein really drew me in. Not only was his writing easy and funny to read, but he had great drawings! As a childhood artist, I loved him. So very, very much.
So I'm just going to flip open one of the books I own of his, and see what I'm going to share...
... Okay. Got it. Here it is:
Thumb Face
By Shel Silverstein
There is a face upon my thumb--
I did not paint it there--
With pointy ears and winky eyes
And greenish bristly hair.
I keep it hidden from my friends
So that they will not stare.
It has a little twisty mouth,
And yellow teethes, too.
It snickers when I hold my fork,
It giggles when I'm blue,
And laughs and laughs and laughs
At everything I try to do.
[A Light in the Attic, p. 55]
Wow, so that was a lot deeper than what I was anticipating.
Isn't it always the case? There is some blemish/characteristic of ourselves that we are embarrassed about--which makes us feel so weak--and we do our best not to show our friends. And in our darkest moments our insecurities come out and mock us.
Okay, everyone! Lift your head! Everyone has an awful thumb, so let's not let the ugly thumb drag us down.
Peach and Love to everyone.
1 comment:
One of my favorite poets/authors as well!!! I've been thinking about the poem of the month we both did too! But I probably won't have time for it now- so poem on double time sister! :)Phillip had hoped we would be able to visit before Matt departs...yet you probably don't have time and don't want all our germs at this point!
Post a Comment