With Matt leaving next month, we've been thinking a lot of all he'll miss this year. Like all the boys' birthdays, Easter, Isaac starting 1st grade, Eli starting pre-K, and possibly Thanksgiving... Just to name a few.
But what struck me was Father's Day. This will be the 3rd Father's Day in a row me and the boys haven't been with Matt on "his day". Darn, I had to do something! After a month of pondering it, I decided to commit to surprising Matt with a Father's Day--and it all worked out!
Saturday night Matt and I put the kids to bed. We do an Insanity video together, and then pass-out in bed. But my cough acts up, so I say, "I'll just sleep on the couch tonight." He mumbles and continues to sleep, I go in overdrive.
I make a large batch of his favorite chocolate chip muffins (which happen to be the spinach whole wheat ones),
I set up a Mt. Dew tower,
and I transcribe questions I asked the boys onto cute survey forms.
It's 1:30am. I can't find his present from the boys. I look EVERYWHERE. I finally decide to sneak into the bedroom and look under the bed.
Matt wakes up, in a daze.
I'm like, "Oh, hi."
He's like, "Why are you on the ground."
I'm like, "Well... my cough... you see? Needed to get on the ground for it to stop... ??"
He's like, "Okay. I need to pee."
Wow, I dodged a bullet. I go back to trying to find the present. And I don't find it, so I go to bed hoping to find it in the morning.
At 6:30am I wake up to Titus running down the hall. I jump out of bed, steer Titus to the playroom, and get to work on the bacon. Goodness, so much bacon.
Everything is together, I get the two other boys up, and we head to Matt with goodies in hand.
"Happy Father's Day to You," wakes Matt up, in a really confused state. But he starts to get what's going on, and is really surprised and happy. Even if it is 6:50am in the morning.

After having a good fill, we head to the kitchen, and see all the other goodies!
And I found the boys' present, and able to give it to him! He's our "Hulk Man Guy," for sure!
![]() |
| Isaac's own LEGO gun creation. It even has movable parts. |
![]() |
| Yup, Eli loves bacon. So much. |
![]() |
| Titus followed Isaac's lead, and headed for the LEGOs. He made his own gun. |
The rest of the day was really great. Lots of good family time, and lots of good food.
Matt thought it was really good day, too. He said it really felt like Father's Day. Yes!
I had let both sides of our families know that I was doing this, so the whole day he was getting Father's Day messages. Awesome.
Matt's a great dad, and he deserved a proper celebration.












3 comments:
You're an awesome wife Shannon. Also, do you make bacon in the oven? If not you SHOULD!!!!! So much easier, less mess, and yummo!
Wow great idea man.
Love it.
I don't do much of anything for Dru.
You're awesome.
Wow, you are awesome Shannon. What a cute family you have. Good luck!!
Post a Comment