Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Surgery




Picture Pefect: Eli one day after surgery


Isaac call's Eli, "Bebe E-i"


Our son resting.


Eli still on the breathing tube, and under anesthetics


Eli two hours after surgery.

Eli's surgery took place on Friday morning. It went really well. Me, Matt, and my dad were expecting to have to wait in the general surgery waiting area for a few hours, but it ended up being about 2 1/2 hours. To keep my mind busy I--Shannon--watched "My Best Friends Wedding" on the area's TV. After we were told that everything went really well we were able to go and see Eli an hour later. There seemed to be more tubes than I had thought that there would be, but he looked like he was in good hands. 
Around 6pm they took Eli off of the ventilator. That was a bit of a scary moment. He didn't want to breath very much on his own. He would take a deep breath, then wait--which seemed like forever--till he took another breath. Again, he was in good hands, 5 people were watching and monitoring this for a while. 
Friday night turned out to be one of the hardest in my mothering life. Because his breathing was not great they could not give him a lot of pain relievers. Watching my newborn baby boy moan in pain just killed me! However around mid-night he started to improve, and a full dose of morphine was administered. 
Eli is now doing just wonderful. The urine catheter , neck line, groin line, and breathing tube are all gone. It was actually all taken out before I got to the hospital Saturday morning. Still not sure when we will be discharged, but hopefully soon. I am ready to take him home! 

7 comments:

reynolds said...

I am So glad to hear things went well! I don't know if I have ever seen such a good looking newborn boy (I'm biased about some girls I've seen). He seriously looks like a doll! When I was in the hospital all those weeks with Lila I think your Mom came by more than anybody and since my Mom couldn't be there she always cried whenever I told her that Annie came, because she was so grateful that I was being taken care of. I told Annie that one day as she was leaving and she told me if something like this were to happen to her Shannon in Idaho she hopes someone would take care of you. I know she's been able to be there but I hope even after the family leaves that someone will help you as she helped me. I will always be grateful for her example of service and genuine compassion all of my life. I know you guys have had an emotional week but I can tell you come from good stock. You guys have been in my prayers. Congrats on getting to go home!

lindsey.hornbuckle said...

Oh Shannon, he is perfect!

JoyPorter said...

Wow! Eli is beautiful! Your pictures bring memories rushing back to me from sixteen years ago this month. I was where you are now, only at UAB. I've so enjoyed spending time with your mom and sharing Daniel's journey and learning about Eli. I just love your mom and she So loves all of you. I'm keeping you all in my prayers.

Dana Scarbrough said...

Shannon, babe, I want to hold that baby again! He is so sweet, and those pictures just melt my heart...he's quickly moving up on my top five list of cutest babies ever. I mean, don't ever expect first place hehe, but yeah, he's ADORABLE. I'm SO SO SO grateful that he was blessed with strength after the surgery. I'm so glad they were finally able to give him meds.

Caroline said...

Shannon,
Hello! I am a friend of your mothers. She holds a very special place in my heart and I know that you are as strong as she is.
Eli is a beautiful baby. I pray that he continues to grow strong and his upcoming surgeries will be just as successful.
Love-Caroline

Unknown said...

Shannon and Matt, What a beautiful baby boy! I've been on the phone almost every day keeping the family without computors up to date. Grandma Ambs was able to get to Aunt Janice's last night and see your blog. She agrees with everyone else-what a cutie. We are all so greatful for Heavenly Fathers blessing the Drs. and Eli with the strength to come thru this. Your both great parents and we love you so much. by the way Happy Anniversary. Love Grandpa and Grandma Emens

KatobanBlessings said...

You will take him home Shannon!
I am so glad everything went well. Being a mother is everything...i wonder what the best definition of "mother" could be, it seems to encompass alot more.
Good luck with everything and Heavenly Father is mindful of your whole family.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...