Last week Matt and I ran in a little fun run, called the Turkey Trot. It was a 4 person relay, each person running 2 miles. The course was around this lovely park in down town Boise. OH! Did I mention that it was SNOWING?! And COLD?! The course was very slick, and it was not fun to breath in snow.
But guess what? We had fun. Matt went, the I went, then cousin-in-law Blake went, then cousin Jessica went. Our combined time was an hour and 12 minuets. (And I know, I know. My outfit is so cool. I just wanted to stay warm, people!)
So of late, Matt and I have been doing exercises at home. Crunches, mountain climbers, over head arm clappers, flutter kicks, push-ups. You know, pretty much Army work out stuff. We haven't been able to run as much. The weather does not want to participate... let me tell you, running on snow covered, ice packed roads/side walks is not fun! So like this week I only ran once, for 3 miles, and Matt did the same. So doing these small exercises has made us feel better.
Matt sets his watch to beep every 1 minute. So we do flutter kicks for a minute, then rest for a minute. Then mountain climbers for a minute, then rest for a minute. Get the picture? This can continue for a few sets, to lots of sets. Like 20 minutes later we are done. I AM SO SORE!
Know what is cool though? Our sons really get into it. Eli and Isaac will lay down on the ground and try to do flutter kicks, leg raisers, mountain climbers. HILARIOUS! Eli exercises this way: laying on his back, he kicks his feet crazy and wiggles his arms around. Isaac has a bit more control, but not much. Isaac boy, though, has come up with his own exercises. One is called "hit the house." So stand. (Are you standing?) Clinch your fist. (Are you clinching your fist?) Then act like you are hitting something in front of you. Say, a house? Do it really, REALLY fast! Also another one of his is called "the twister." Extend your arms, palms out, fingers extended, then twirl back and forth. Really, REALLY fast!
Though the boys favorite part is when Matt does push-ups. (I excuse myself to feed Titus.) As soon as Matt gets into the push-up position the boys jump on his back! They love it! And Matt thinks it is pretty funny.
Seriously, the best part (besides the tightening of the tush? And watching Matt's chest grow?), is just spending time together as a family. I know this sounds weird, cause we are together in this home a whole bunch. But that doesn't mean we spend it together all the time. I'm either cooking or cleaning, Matt's at school or studying, Isaac is imagining with trucks, Eli is getting into pots, and Titus is just around. Getting an "actual family time" can be difficult if it is not planned. Experiencing these experiences together is so important! Something to grow a family off of, you know? Like a foundation of friendship and mutual understanding and trust...



4 comments:
I love this idea Shannon, very cool! I may have to implement this into my exercise and family time routine :)
hmmm, excusing yourself to feed Titus? COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE- now drop and give me 20! hehe, I'm sure your tush looks great! And I'm proud of Matt's patience because Caleb used to LOVE to sit on my gut while I try to do sit-ups- it made me crazy!- now I just do them while he's sleeping!
I love exercising with my family! I especially love it when Judd runs with me. Good job on the turkey trot. Wish I were there to run it with you!
You look so hot!
Post a Comment