The winter has been a crazy one. So warm one day, then crazy cold the next (you know, for costal GA). It's been hard to figure out.
First there was THE DAYS WITHOUT HEAT! One like the coldest recorded days in costal GA history. Yeah, that was pretty awesome to have our home in the 50s and live off of space heaters, haha.
Around Thanksgiving we realized that our downstairs heat didn't work, but since it typically doesn't get that cold in the winter I wasn't too worried about it getting looked at. One of those, "I'll get it fixed one day." When I realized how cold it was going to be that first week in January I called our land lord and she was able to send some people over (they stayed till like 7pm that night). But instead of fixing the problem, they kind of made it worse. The heat in the upstairs and in the downstairs didn't work for almost 24 hours. But finally they were able to deduce it was faulty wiring, and our bums got toasty once again!
These are the pictures Eli got of the heater guys:
Second, there has just lots of sickness with this weather. Our bodies are going from warm to cold to warm to cold--like lots of ear infections and throat stuff going on.
There was a week which Isaac and Eli only went to school for one day. They had gotten ear and throat stuff over the weekend, contented to have fevers on Monday and Tuesday, and then school was cancelled for Wednesday and Thursday for the possible snow and ice storm that was heading our way. It was like a mini spring break! Matt even got the Wednesday and Thursday off. By the end of the week, once everyone was well, we had so much cabin fever! I ended up taking the boys to a PlayPlace--which was packed with so many wild kids! (FYI, it did NOT snow nor ice storm those days.)
Third, how do I even dress my kids for these days? Ones which are so freezing at the beginning, but so warm at the end? Layers, I suppose :)
The boys' drawers have all their winter and summer clothing in them. For one can wear shorts one day, and heavy pants the next.
Fourth, basically with mostly cold and wet days means that I'm inside a lot. Which pretty much means I'm baking a lot!
Matt's been getting home around 6:30pm each night (or 7pm). The boys get a big snack around 4 or 4:30, and then we all have dinner together when Daddy homes come. It's been fun to try and come up with dinners for us all. I've just been cooking for me and the boys so long (Matt's MBA was night school, then the last year and a half apart--so like 3 years of cooking without him at the table), that it's been exciting to try and get "man sized portions" of food on the table. Stretching my mind a bit, haha. Matt's been pretty flexible with the dinners. I think he's just so happy to be home, to be honest.
There was a night which I made some homemade totally delicious gnudi (recipe HERE--me and MakeIt-LoveIt girl have a mutual friend… and me and MakeIt-LoveIt were neighbors in Rexburg. Small world!). It's seriously so good!
However half-way through making the meal the power cuts in half! There had been some digging around our home that day, and someone had nicked a wire! So the stove top didn't work, but the microwave did for just a bit. So I had to microwave the meal in intervals. But it turned out well. It an improvised was a candle light dinner!


















No comments:
Post a Comment