Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Gentle Hug

Matt and I are in the kitchen getting dinner ready. Eli walks in. He is very whinny, probably because he is very hungry. I lean over and pick up him to put him in the high chair. On my way up my back catches the side of the open draw. SCRATCH! I feel like my back has been ripped open!

I start to fall to me knees and at the same time quickly give Eli to Matt. Eli gets scared by the suddenness of everything, the moaning mama on the ground, and the fact that I gave him up to Matt. He starts to cry. Through my moans and almost-tears I ask Matt to put him in his high chair.

Isaac at this time comes into the kitchen and is asking, "What happened?! What happened?!" Matt tells him that I hurt my back and that Eli is scared. He looks at me and bends down, and gently gives me a hug telling me that it will be okay. He then goes over to Eli and gives him the same gentle hug.

..........

There are times when being a mother is hard, and it feels like a thankless task. Yes, a task.

But, then... then...

... there are these moments. Where you see your child in a new light. A light that illuminates his strength and compassion and growth into a young man.

Raising children is such a joy.

5 comments:

Helen said...

Is your back okay?

Nate and Kim said...

That's very cute Shannon. It's very validating when your children do something cute and nice like that.

Kristina said...

That is so sweet! What a perfect older brother.

Dana Scarbrough said...

Definitely made me tear up. Love that Isaac boy. Also, I hope your back is okay! :)

Natalie said...

What a sweet boy. Thanks again for last night. We had a great time with you guys!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...