Wednesday, February 22, 2012

3 Ain't Easy

Having three kids is hard. Seriously hard. Like "pick up the habit of swearing, cause your gonna lose your mind, and it's better to swear than beat your kids" hard.

Maybe it's just this kind of hard for me because they are all close in age. I mean Isaac was 3 years and 9 months old when Titus was born, for crying out loud. Or maybe all the circumstances in which we became a family of 5 was just too much for me to handle in a dignified way. 2nd child is a heart baby, Matt's starts as over-full time MBA student, hard living situation, just to name the first 3 off the top of my head.

Then there are the times when I see my first two children sitting quietly, looking at books together, laughing together, and just being peaceful; and my third child comes running through the room, screaming happily, throwing puzzle pieces all over the ground, and spiting raisins out of his mouth.  It is in those moments in which I wonder, "Titus, if you came at a later time, like after grad school and in the middle of our 3rd year during Matt's commission in the ARMY... ... ...," and I don't finish my wonderment.

I can start that train of thought very easily. Especially when I see this 3rd child run out of my bathroom covered in lipstick, or when he pulls a dozen eggs onto the ground, or when I witness him color with green Sharpie on my white dinning room bench--to name a few happenstances within the last week.

But I think there is another reason why I wonder about him coming later. I'm realizing that he is growing up. In 4 months he'll be 2, fully into toddlerhood and no longer a "baby." And it's sad. Baby days are over, soon all these young little boys will be young men. And if we really never have a child again then this chapter of "cute little outfits, snuggles in my lap, fun finger foods" is over. (I can't think, or fathom, the idea of ever being pregnant again... so please don't ask, just don't ask, if I'm serious about not having anymore children.)

...............

I do take comfort during my "emotionally confusing mothering times" from an instance that has stayed with me, and which I consider a great blessing and tender mercy from The Man Up Stairs.

It was Christmas Season 2010, during the middle of the night. Our tiny tree was plugged in and was filling the whole living room with tiny green and blue and red and yellow lights.
I had just sat down on the couch with 6 month old baby number 3, Titus, to nurse him.  As he fed, I watched. He was beautiful and sweet, and such a good feeder!

I began to sense a peaceful feeling, and then a thought: "He belongs in the family, he came when he was supposed to come." I knew it was true. And I was so grateful to Heavenly Father for that small, but powerful, revelation.

I was so much in wonderment that after I laid Titus down, and climbed into bed, I woke Matt up to tell him all the I had felt and learned.

................

As stated above, I still take so much comfort from that experience.
Titus belongs. He's supposed to be here. And he's a son of God.

But goodness, I wish he'd stop finding Sharpie markers and leave the furniture alone!

3 comments:

Kristina said...

Not only do you have 3 kids, but you have 3 boys! That makes it even harder...so I've heard. I wouldn't know about the girl situation any more than you would! I'm glad that I'm not the only one that resorts to swearing rather than beating my children. I think it's one of those good, better, best things! :) I'm sure you're one awesome mom and I look up to you as a wonderful example of what a mom and wife should be. You rock!

Dana Scarbrough said...

Shannon, you are such a wonderful mom. I know its hard on you to have three boys, and I think thats only intensified by having them all close together and so young right now. But you're right, Titus belongs, hold on to those tender mercies, and don't mope too much about baby days being over. They were hard wonderful times, and there are more in store! Basically, Dr. Suess, " Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened!" You're boys are going to continue to amaze you as they become closer and closer and as their artistic abilities mature...especially by using paper! :)Embrace your inner wild child, and run around screaming too! Okay, that's how I deal with it! haha

Christi said...

Hahah, that's funny, b/c this very morning I said that I wanted another one and this same very day Blake was a very grumpy elf! I feel like you, missing the baby days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...