Back in April I attended the General George C. Marshall ROTC Award Seminar in Lexington, VA for excellence in leadership, academics, physical training, and such. I was selected as the one cadet to attend for the year from Boise State University, Northwest Nazarene University, Idaho State University, Brigham Young University - Idaho, and College of Idaho. For my two years in ROTC I was the number one cadet from each of these schools in my class. As such, as a "senior" I was selected to receive/attend this George C. Marshall Award. More information can be found here: http://www.marshallarmyrotc.org/. Also note that photographs were taken from that site.
Because this was an awards seminar I was put on official Army orders and all expenses were covered ranging from travel to hotels, to food and "entertainment".
On Sunday, April 15 I Flew to Virginia, checked into my hotel, and in-processed for the seminar. I flew out around 6am and got in to my hotel in Virginia around 9pm. It was a LONG day of travel.
The seminar:
Monday and Tuesday, April 16-17 consisted of, in a nut-shell, wake up and drive to Virginia Military Institute (VMI) Campus and begin the day(s).
Each day consisted of two 'round-table' open discussions on various strategic/important subjects relating to our national security, ethics and decision making, professionalism, global strategy, military life and career, and various other subjects. Each cadet attended four round table discussions; two each day. The round table discussions I selected to attend were in order: The Battle of Roberts Ridge (Afghanistan), The Role of the Platoon Leader and NCO - Non-combat Arms, US Military Support to Stability and Peace Operations, and The Profession of Arms. I thouroughly enjoyed day two and especially the Profession of Arms round-table. That round-table was very well set up, presented, utilized multiple mini case discussions, and had great debate/conversation amongst the cadets and lecturer. Each round table was two hours long and was presented by an authority figure on the subject matter; many of them retired/active military/govt. personnel.
In addition to round-table discussions there were a few keynote speakers:
-General (4 Star) Raymond T. Odierno, Chief of Staff, US Army
-General (4 Star) Robert Cone, Commanding General, Training and Doctrine Command
-Command Sergeant Major Scott Schroeder, DCSM, 101st Airborne Division, Fort Campbell, KY
-Lieutenant General (3 Star - soon to be 4 Star) Dennis L. Via, Deputy Commanding General/Chief of Staff, US Army Material Command
-Major General (2 Star) Jefforey Smith, Commanding General, US Army Cadet Command
-General (4 Star) Richard A. Cody, USA (Ret.), Seminar Chairman
![]() |
| This is the main auditorium where the seminar began and ended. You can see my bald head about 5 rows back from the front near the center of the row. |
![]() |
| This is an "arms" room VMI has that has tons of different rifles and pistols old to new. It's pretty amazing. |
![]() |
General Cone was super funny and very informative. I really enjoyed his instruction.
![]() |
| Our final meal at VMI was in this hall. The food there was quite amazing! In this view i'm in the back right corner area. |
![]() |
| VMI's chow hall. Where most meals took place. |
![]() |
| Chief of Staff General Odierno. |
Overall, the seminar was a very positive experience. I learned a lot, got to know some new people, and even met Richard Petty (who just happened to be there). The seminar had one cadet from each of the 273 ROTC Battalions in the nation attend. It basically works out that around 5% or less of eligible cadets are chosen to be awarded and attend the George C. Marshall Seminar. It's an honor and privilege to be selected for something like this and i'm quite grateful for it. I've had and look forward to having many more wonderful learning opportunities in Army.
Thanks all,
-Matt














1 comment:
This was an awesome honor, and WOW what a cool place!
Post a Comment