Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Isaac's Girl

It's happened.  There is a girl in this 6 year old's life, and it is not me.

Camo day, in honor of all the military service members






































Back in November Isaac starts talking to me at the dinner table, jabbering away about his friends.  Then he quietly says the word "girlfriend."  My heart races, but I remain clam.
"You have a girlfriend?"  I ask.
"Yay," he says shyly, and then slips out of his chair and heads towards his room.
Not even 5 seconds later, while I'm still trying to remain calm, he comes back to me in complete tears.  "Don't tell Dad I have a girlfriend.  Okay?  She's just a friend, but a girl, okay?"  I'm like, Wow, what is happening?  So I take Isaac in my arms and hold him tight on the couch.  I let him tell me all about this friend who may or may not be his girl friend.  I then tell him that it's great to have friends that are boys and girls, and that me and Daddy had lots of friends.  Daddy played with girls and boys.  Mommy played with boys (and sometimes the occasional girl).  
"So is she your girlfriend?" I ask.
"Um, no.  Just a friend who's a girl,"  he says confidently.
"Well, what's her name?"
"I don't know."
"Isaac, if she's important to you it's probably a good idea to know her name."
"Well she has blond hair and her class is down the green hall, I'm in the red hall."
"Okay..."
"I play with her at recess, and sometimes see her at lunch.  The other boys don't like to play with her, but I do."


And that was all I knew about her until yesterday.
"Mom, my girlfriend's name, I mean my friend that's a girl, her name is Hannah."

Isaac showing off his clone trooper ship.
With chocolate on his face.



He really is growing up, isn't he?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...