Sunday, January 1, 2012

First Advent Calendar

Okay, here's the thing: becoming the matriarch of the family has snuck up on me, and I haven't felt prepared.
"Oh! I need to make dinner every night for these children?"
"Oh! I need to get crafts together so that we have something to do?"
"Oh! I need establish Christmas traditions, already? They're only ages 1, 2, and 5."
Yeah, that's me... barely keeping up with it all. Sometimes I don't think Matt and I really thought through the conscience of getting married, and having kids. I think we just thought, "It'll be fun!"

So it's November 30th, getting late into the evening. I had looked up a few home-made Christmas advent calendars that day, but each took so much time and energy! I knew I needed to get a calendar up, so that Mr. I-Need-A-Plan-Isaac could have a solid understanding when Christmas was coming. WHAT TO DO?!?!

I had deduced that there were some basic components of a calendar: day numbers, treats, presentation. "Okay," I thought, "I could get some large tags and stencil each day's number on an individual tag." Good start. "Well, then I could hang them up by ornament hooks... but on what?" I remembered a snap shot of a Pottery Barn page, and which idea I had used before: sticks nailed on a wall. "Brilliant!! But what is going to be the treat?" Some sort of candy... I just needed to go to the store and look around. After looking through the whole candy isle, I decided on the small Hershey's holiday chocolate bars.

It all turned into a great success. The boys loved their "Christmas Treat" as a mid-morning snack. So I've decided that some sort of Christmas Advent calendar will be a tradition.



And the adhesive for the chocolates is wood glue! It was the only thing on hand. The chocolates came off great, but left a yellow glue stain. So I flipped the tag over, re-stenciled the number, then hung up. 

2 comments:

Dana Scarbrough said...

Oh Shannon, the matriarch thing snuck up on you because you were too busy being the matriarch! With all those babies you've just now had time to BE a mom!" :) enjoy making traditions- i'm a freak and sat down with Phil first thing before we were even married to do what?...make a list. Of course it changes and adapts and sometimes on November 30th you just go with it! I love the sticks!

Christi said...

I love the sticks too. Have you seen the advent calendar ideas on Our Best Bites? I loved that they were activities each day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...