Saturday was a big, big day. In a lot of ways very wonderful.
Matt graduated from Boise State with his MBA at 10am with the biggest graduating class Boise State has ever seen. Which equals a long ceremony--BSU calls everyones' name in one setting. Doctorates first, then masters, then undergraduates. Me, our boys, Matt's parents and sister, and my dad attended the ceremony. It was held in the Taco Bell arena, which seats around 15,000; we arrived only 10 minutes early and got nose bleed seats. Worked our legs to get up there! (Not to mention going up and down for a bathroom break for Eli.) It was a great ceremony, really. Some really cool things, like bagpipes! Also a great, GREAT speaker. I cannot believe a student graduating with his bachelors could speak like that! Hope we can get a copy of the dudes speech.
So the final grades are not in, but Matt thinks that his cumulative GPA is 3.5! Going 2 straight years in a row, taking 18 credits at a time (most semesters), I think that's a wonderful accomplishment!
Also graduate students sat behind the podium in the middle section of the stadium seats, and Matt's cords signify that he is a military veteran.
While we waited for Matt to come out the boys ate my famous chocolate chip spinach whole wheat muffins, made funny faces, and tried to keep cool. (Titus hasn't been feeling well. No happy face from him!)
Now to the bigger deal. Because it gives Matt a job, and us a way to be lower-middle class! Hooray for a salary! And it's pretty awesome, because it's awesome...
... Matt commissioned into active duty Army, as a Second Lieutenant. What a moment!
Here is the video if interested in seeing what a commissioning ceremony is like. (Only 5 minutes long. And yes, I cried like a ninny.)
Pretty cool, huh? It was at 3pm on Saturday afternoon. So after BSU's graduation we had a quick lunch of homemade hamburgs at Matt's parents' home, then went back to campus to the sky box above Boise State's football field. What a view! Downtown Boise in the background.
A lot of family came for this too. Which was awesome! 2 sets of uncles and aunts from Boise, and another set from Utah. Of course Matt's parents, his sister, me, our boys, and my Dad were there. But something that really made the day special was two of Matt's brothers in arms from the Iraq deployment came! One drove from Pocatello that day to give Matt his first salute (hi Ryan!).
Here's a break down of what happened:
- Matt was sworn into the Army by the professor of Military Science.
- The colonel is a really cool, funny guy. His wife has let me pick her brain about living the military life.
- Me and the two older boys (Titus was asleep on his Nana) pinned on his 2Lt rank.
- I could tell I was going to cry as soon as the ceremony started. So many emotions! It was so wonderful to see that all the sacrifices we have been making are paying off!
- Also it took a bit to get his rank on. Not something down with ease.
- Ryan gave Matt his first salute.
- Officers in the Army are the ones that get saluted. The first salute comes from a non-commissioned officer in the army, like a sergeant (not a private). When the nco (non-commissioned officer) gives the first salute, the newly commissioned officer gives a silver dollar to the nco. If more information is needed, look up "first salute" on google.
- Matt was presented commissioning certificate.
- Matt gave a short speech.
After all was finished (8 cadets commissioned this semester), we headed back to Matt's parents' home for pizza with family. Talked, hung out, laughed. Great times!
Later that evening friends from the area came by for brownies and ice-cream to congratulate Matt. Lots of good people that have known Matt forever came by to wish us luck! Lots of great advice was given, as was lots of support.
That night I went to bed before 10pm, and slept like a rock. What a long, but glorious day!
And thanks to everyone out there who has every prayed for us, wished us luck, given us food, or listened to me talk away when it all seemed a little much!
I seriously believe we could not have down what we did without you.
God bless.





































3 comments:
What a monumental day for you all. We are so happy for you guys and all the hard work you have put in to accomplish this. I am excited for you guys to start this new chapter. So exciting!
What a monumental day for you all. We are so happy for you guys and all the hard work you have put in to accomplish this. I am excited for you guys to start this new chapter. So exciting!
What an awesome day! Yes, I cried too. I know you have worked HARD to get to this point, and I'm proud of ya'll, and also it reminded me of what we're working towards and how it really is all worth it in the end. What an awesome day of support from so many, and I'm so glad you got to celebrate Matt's (and the whole family!)great achievement! Oh, and its 6 minutes. And also, I think its CRAZY that you had to sit through basically THREE graduations! wow!
Post a Comment