Choosing the military as a career didn't happen over night. It was a process that Matt and I went through over a few years. He joined the National Guard out of high school. At first he intended to go active duty, as a combat engineer or medic and be apart of the 101st. When things weren't working out as he intended a buddy told him about the National Guard and how he could go to school and still be part of the Army. So that's what he did.
After he got home from his first deployment to Iraq we both had lost our faith in the military. His experience wasn't that great--but then again he had deployed with a National Guard unit that had never fully deployed before. Lots of glitches, so to speak.
When the time of his first enlistment was about to run out, he and I both realized that we didn't want him to get out. Our opinions had changed, our judgment had gotten softer, so he reenlisted for 3 years.
And when the bottom of the economy fell out, and there were no job opportunities, the military was our savior. A path to a career was opened to us, and we gladly accepted it. But let me be clear, we didn't choose the Army because we HAD to, we came to this point because we WANTED to.
I understand that many don't get it.
"Arn't you afraid that he'll be shot?" Um, no. If he was going to be shot that would have happened during his first deployment. If/when he is deployed this time he'll be at a desk, eating Subway, listening to Steven Colbert's broadcast.
"But won't you move around like all the time?" Um, no. Every 3 to 6 years. This may seem like a lot compared to 1950s America, but if one wants a job opportunity and growth now days one must move to that job. Matt's dad was in business. Guess how many times Matt moved during his life, and how many states/countries he lived in? 5 states and 2 different countries. And you know what? I lived in one small city for most of my childhood and to be honest it wasn't that great--good, but still no "Mayberry."
What I'm saying is that there is no perfect formula for a perfect way of raising kids, and there is no perfect community. I've spoken to a few people that raised their families in the military and each had nothing but great things to say. It was wonderful to hear their experiences, how their families were close, how their kids didn't get into the fads of the United States (when they lived abroad), and how the cultural diversity of the military really helped prepare them for their futures. (Also strong testimonies in the Church! Yes!)
So if we just stay in for 6 years or for the whole 20 (which we plan on doing), please understand that we are happy to do this. I am happy to move. I am happy to met new people. I am happy that there is a job/career out there that will support our family. Really anything to get a salary! We've been a student-family for too long, and the Army has given us a wonderful opportunity.
In fact if you see that I join within the next 10 years don't be too surprised. The Army will take me till I'm 35, and the Air Reserve will take me till I'm 40. Job security. The only way in which we'll lose this job is if the United States fails. And if the United States fails then it's time to move to Canada--which Matt and my sons will be able to do (since Matt is Canadian born, our kids can get Canadian citizenship--which means they can go to Cuba and play!)... they'll just have to leave me behind at the border with some beef jerky and a pistol.
Another thing, please never ever judge those that deal with PTSD. That's "post traumatic stress disorder." What these men and women go through will never be understood, for each their experiences are totally unique. Matt dealt with PTSD for years after his return, but I was there for him and he was WILLING to talk. Some don't have anybody, and then for others it's hard to talk. Some have people, are willing to talk, but still are not able to heal. But that's okay.
One more thing that has bothered me for years. And it came from a family member, nonetheless. Never, ever say something to the effect of: "We should just send all the criminals over to fight the fight." What the crap, man?! I know you were just trying to be supportive of military members, but to degrade their service, time, and effort as seemingly worthless and unskilled is completely out of line. These men and women, again, CHOOSE to be in the service. It means a lot to them, and they put forth a butt load of time to be at the level that they are at. Join one of the services yourself, and you'll see.
And that's all I got to say about that.
For now.
4 comments:
Thanks for this, you have a great perspective. We are so grateful for military in our family, but honestly I have a hard time with the ones who are so bitter about the life that they've chosen. We have a friend who can't talk about anything but the ingratitude Americans have for our military. We ARE grateful, but it is still a choice. I am thrilled that you are happy with your choice! I think it will be great.
Interesting post and a good one for all of us to read.
Thanks.
Thanks for sharing your insight Shannon.
Thanks for your post. I've seen some choose military out of necessity only and not desire to serve- and I don't think it ever ends well. Matt is committed to his country and family and a strong leader. I think you really have to be all in as you are to get a good experience from it. I've also been confronted with the questions about moving and I feel the same way. Job security, broad experience for children, and no different than many live with in the business world! Phillip and I are both passionate about helping those with PTSD and educating others that its okay. The way some men and women are treated upon return home is sickening. I'm excited to move my family around the world- and hopefully be your neighbor a time or two!!!!!
Post a Comment