Thursday, September 20, 2012

I Could Hit a Stranger


This maybe deserves just a little slap... on the hand.

I'm in the Ace Hardware store, the boys are getting into the sunglasses display.  But really they're not acting as curious as they are capable.
Retiree couple behind looks at my boys, looks at me, and the man says, "My, you got your hands full."
Me, "Yes sir," and I rush out the door with the boys. 



I want to hunt this guy down and punch him in the face.  Right. Now.

I'm loading the boys into the 4runner from our very unsuccessful Home Depot trip.  A 50 year old (okay I'll say it) "redneck" comes up to me, like really close, and asks, "Can I ask you something?"  
I hesitantly say, "Okay..."
He continues, "How'd you think you got so many kids?"
Shocked and not knowing how to respond, I think I let out an "Uh?" 
He pats me on the shoulder, smiles, and yells, "Look in the mirror, sweetheart!"
I shrug him off and finish buckling my boys in: totally embarrassed and horrified. 



What I learned from today.

- Apparently I have a lot of kids. How'd I miss the memo?
- I'm pretty sensitive when I'm tired, hungry, and shopping in home improvement stores. 
- I could hit a stranger. 



4 comments:

Dana Scarbrough said...

1. When I first read the post title, I thought you meant with a car- and was very curious how that came about.
2. Now knowing what its about, I have hit people I know and therefore would have no problem smacking a smartmouth that I didn't.

3. RUDE and un-called for, on all accounts.

4. Next time someone says you've got your hands full say, "Better than empty!!"

5. For the redneck I have a pretty pink solution- a bottle- its my pepper spray- and I soooo would have used it! RUDE!

6. You're an awesome mom, and any mom with children in a hardware store already gets cool points. BLEH to people who are petty and too boring to think of something helpful or constructive to say!

I'm done...maybe.

Anna said...

I'd like to know why older people, who may or may not have gone through child rearing years, think it's cute/necessary to make those types of "well don't you have yer hands full" comments. Are they feeling smug because all that is behind them? I mean if they just can't stand to NOT say something, say something positive, like, "your children are cute", I don't know. Especially if your kids aren't knocking over displays and running around kicking people in the shins, there's really no need to say anything at all.
That other guy, man. Was he drunk? I comfort myself by thinking most stupid things people/rednecks say have to come out of their mouths because their brain-to-mouth filter has been dulled.

Melissa said...

Two words
Creepy. Random.

Sha nay nay said...

My dad is the king of backwards compliments, As in he told one of the Cogbil wives "you're looking fat and sassy" when she was very pregnant. So, my hopefully positive outlook on this is maybe he saying you look really pretty and your husband can't help but think the same thing.

But it was still weird to get close to you and say it.

Please tell me that this made sense.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...