Friday, December 13, 2013

Strep Throat… Shoulda' Knocked on Wood

Well one of my biggest fears came to pass just days after posting about Eli and his heart and how "I get all worried when it's Strep Throat season cause Strep Throat untreated can actually attack the heart" and… yeah…

Sunday morning arrived, we were in the mind set for a good Church Day, when Titus stumbled into our room all fevered.  Then Eli came in after him runny nosed, and coughing up a storm, with Isaac trailing behind with a mild cough and runny nose.

We decided that something vicious was going through our boys and we'd better not chance taking them to church and infecting all the other kids.
An hour later Eli's fever started to rage.

That Sunday we took it super chill.  Everyone on ibuprofen and Tylenol, and pounding down the orange juice.  Seemed like it was working.  Isaac improved at least.

Blurry.
But just imagine the awesome wrestling match going this "chill" Sunday.

So on Monday morning, Eli and Titus still fevered but Isaac seeming fine, Isaac was off to school.  And at 11:30am I get a call from the nurses office saying that "Isaac is running a fever of 101, and his throat is red and has white sores.  Probably is Strep Throat."  …. nnnnnnnNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOoooooo!!!!!

I pick Isaac up, Matt comes home from work just after lunch, and we take all the boys to the doctor's office.  I tell them that I want a throat swab of all the boys, throat swabs are taken, and 10 minutes later the doctors comes and announces, "Each boy has Strep Throat.  Fun for you guys."
(One can have a throat type infection and it not be Strep Throat.  The actual strain of Strep Throat is what freaks me out.  Isaac seems to get a throat infection bi-monthly and I just make him drink gallons of water and put him on Tylenol--clears it up in a day or two.)   

The huge bag of medication we were prescribed. 
So for the first time in probably a year the boys were put on antibiotics… I wonder if this is Eli's first time??  I can't remember, but it's one of his first times at least.
Isaac basically missed 3 days of school.  Half of Monday, all of Tuesday and Wednesday.  Took him a few days to kick the fever.
Titus healed pretty quick.  Only one day of fever, then he was bouncing off the walls once more.  (He also LOVES to take "Yucky medicine.  I like it a lot.")
Eli's been cleared of fever for a while.  However his cough and runny nose are sticking around.  (Which is probably unrelated to Strep Throat.)  He coughs so much he throws-up.  But it's slowly getting better. (He HATES the antibiotics.  Pretty much gags the whole thing down.  Sometimes throwing-up on himself and me.)


OKAY.  So Matt and I are doing, um, okay.  Our bodies can't decide if they are sick or well.  One moment I'm up and working out, then next I'm shivering and ill on the couch.  My throat seems sore, my ears are starting to bother me.  Matt is achy all over, his throat hurting for just a day, but still can't seem to get 100% energy.  I'm hoping just a lot of water, tons of vitamin C, and rest will put our bodies in good health.  Fingers crossed.

The boys all well and back in their costumes, but Mommy feels ill and down on the couch.
(Hooray for Top Chef marathon!)


1 comment:

Dana Scarbrough said...

Top Chef can heal all ails- I'm sure of it! :) I'm glad Eli was safe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...