Yes, that's right. I have a reader request! At least that's what my mom tells me ;) Information wanted: "what in the world is naked potty training, and how does it work?"
Naked potty training: training a child to "pee-potty" whilst he/she is naked.
How naked potty training works: I really have no idea, but it does.
How I do it:
I leave child naked for a period of time, usually just 30 minutes. During that time I keep asking if he needs to go to the bathroom, and I take him to the toilet at least every 10 minutes. The next day, I do the same for the same amount of time.
When the child has improvement--like says he needs to use the restroom--I start to extend the time. Now each child is different, and it also depends on how early the process is started. With Isaac, at age 3, it took 3 days. With Eli, at 2 years and 4 months, it took 3 to 4 months till he was really comfortable.
I have a friend (hi Helen) that started her two boys around 18ish months, and they were both comfortable with the going "pee-potty" by age 2.
I take little bits at a time, and when I really have time during the day to work on it. I do not do a reward system, that just isn't my style... and WAY too much to keep up with.
Why I think it works:
Without the diaper, or underwear, or pants, the child is very aware of his private parts and all the goes on with them. He is able to make a visual connection with his feelings of needing to use the restroom. A diaper is very comforting, so it makes sense that underwear (cloth close to the body) is also very comforting. Being naked and free is a new sensation.
Other things to note:
I do not put underwear on the child when going out. Oh, he has pants on, but no underwear. This is to help remind him he can't go in his pants and must use the restroom. (This is during the transitional period, when he's going "pee-potty" pretty well, but still isn't that secure in his new skill.)
After a few successful days being naked (or bottomless with a shirt on), I'll put the child in only underwear. If he's good with only being in underwear for a few days, I'll add more cloths. So on, and so forth.
I give the child fiber rich foods so that he'll go easier. During potty training the child sometimes keeps it in, and gets constipated. The easier to go, the better!
I've been putting a diaper on Eli during the night until last week. He started to hate the idea of a diaper, and has been waking up clean and dry in the morning.
Well, that's what I do! Thanks for the request.
1 comment:
Hey Shannon,
It's Lori from Alabama! I'm your "reader request!" Remember me, your mom's friend and my children think your mom is really their grandmother! Anyway, thanks for all this information. I've been reading your blog for a while and love how you raise your boys. You make it look so easy and laid back. I know it isn't, because I'm just now getting a taste of an active boy myself. I can't wait to start trying this. Thank you so much for all this great information.
Post a Comment